All humbug riders must bring a filled-in and signed parental consent form for the Humbug Chase. Please download the form, fill it in and have it ready when entering the car park
These instructions supplement – but do not replace the ‘Rules of the events, What to bring, Terms and conditions‘ that you agreed to when you entered your child.
Before you travel
- We recommend that you consider taking a lateral flow test before you travel.
- Please look at the Humbug Chase entry list on this web page .
- Write down your child’s rider number in large numbers on a sheet of A4 paper. Bring this with you!.
- If you also entered someone else’s child, please advise them of their child’s rider number as we do not have their email address. Please refer them back to this page for instructions.
- Have the child’s numbers ready when you enter the car park.
The 2021 Humbug Chase will start and finish at the Speech House Field in the heart of the Forest of Dean.
The start will be after all of the Wild Boar Chase riders have set off which will be approx. 10:30 a.m.
The address of the start location is:
Speech House Field,
The Speech House Hotel,
Parking will be in the Speech House field. The car park entrance is on the B 4226 Coleford to Cinderford Road. See Map below. Parking is FREE.
When you arrive / Signing On
- Follow the signs in the car park. If there is a queue, please stay in your car and wait.
- When you reach the head of the queue STOP.
- Stay in the car and hold up the sheet to enable us to read your child’s rider number.
- We will scan the bar code on your child’s rider number plate and you and the child will deemed to be signed on.
- We will put your child’s rider number plate under your windscreen wiper.
- Repeat this for all Humbug Chase riders in the car (children only).
- Finally, hand us the completed Humbug consent forms.
- You may then drive into the car park.
- Park as directed by the Stewards
Each Humbug rider must be accompanied by an adult and the adult accompanying each rider must sign on as above. An adult may accompany up to 4 Humbug riders
Signing-on will open at 08:00.
By signing on the adult agrees to the rules of the event and agrees that these rules apply to each humbug rider that will accompany the adult.
Parental consent forms must be handed in at signing on – one for each humbug rider
All riders signing on will be issued with a number to attach to their bike handlebars and cable ties.
Put the number on your bike handlebars using the cable ties.
Please inform the signing on crew if you have a medical condition.
All riders must be accompanied by a responsible adult and it is the accompanying adult’s responsibility to ensure that they know where their rider(s) is/are.
The start will be at bottom corner entrance to Speech House Field in which riders will park, sign-on and finish.
Your child will need to be ‘ready to go’ in the Assembly Area (see map above) at 10:30 a.m.
Assemble at the humbug sign (above)
You will then be called up to the start.
The Guide riders from the Royal Dean Forest Cycle Club will be made known to you.
Please do not join the Wild Boar Chase riders who will all leave before you start.
We will mark crucial junctions as follows/
There will be white direction arrows painted on the ground.
(The paint is bio-degradeable)
Before each turn there will be small white flags and two more after the turn to confirm that you are on the right route.
In addition there will be red or white cut out “Humbug sign” at turn-offs. White direction arrows painted on the ground
Ride in the direction in which the white arrow points.
However, experienced riders from the Royal Dean Forest Cycle Club will guide the riders to guide them along the route. These riders are also trained first-aiders.
Please note; the YELLOW arrows and PINK flags are for the Wild Boar Chase and can be ignored.
Humbug riders should follow the WHITE arrows, flags and signs as per above
All riders must stop and register at the Feedstation (at approx. 5 miles) and must be reunited with their responsible adult there before going on.
The Finish will be back on the Speech House field.
Food and drinks will be on sale on the field from 08:00 onwards.
There will be a food station at the half way point.
Coffee and tea will be on sale all day at the Speech House Hotel.
You may wish to carry a small amount of water with you especially if it is a hot day..
On the Speech House Field: There will be toilets on the field. Please note their location on the map.
On the Route: There are no toilets on the route
In case of a problem or emergency please inform one of the Royal Dean Forest Cycle Club guide riders.
Should for any reason a guide rider not be available please call:
or John on 07502 602 644
or Hugh on 0797 625 9730
or Geoff on 07922 493 511
If necessary call the emergency services on 112.
We will have First Aid cover at the event HQ.